Everyone knows that stairlifts are life-changing devices that allow you to reach another level, both in your quality of life and home, but how many people can call themselves stairlift experts?
Luckily for you, Acorn Stairlifts can. Level up on your stairlift knowledge, and learn from the best in the business. Read on to learn 10 cool stairlift facts that you never knew.
10 Interesting Stair Lift Facts You Never Knew
1. Stairlifts have been around since as early as the 16th century.
Recently, historian Dr. David Starkey discovered that the first recorded use of the stairlift actually dates back to the 16th century and is tied to nonother than the larger-than-life king, Henry VIII.
Although Henry VIII is infamous for his turbulent love life with six wives and building the church of England, it turns out that he also was the first known person to have a stairlift—or as he preferred to call it, his “stair throne”— that would “goeth up and down” his royal staircase in Whitehall Palace.
2. The earliest recorded version of the stairlift was nowhere near as modern or technologically advanced as the Acorn stairlift models you see today—It was actually operated by a pulley system.
The stairlifts you see today didn’t morph into the perfect model overnight. King Henry VIII’s original “stair throne” primitive, stairlift model functioned through the use of a pulley system of royal ropes the servants used to hoist the king up to the heavens.
3. What we now know as the modern stair lift was officially invented by U.S entrepreneur C.C Crispen in the 1920s.
Equipped with a folding seat and footrest and gliding up and down the rail on rollers, Crispen’s stairlift was designed to help his friend with polio travel freely between the floors of his home.
Since the invention of the stairlift, countless people have reached new heights, regaining their independence and reclaiming their lives.
4. The global stair lifts market of 2022 is estimated at an astounding $1 billion U.S dollars. With an expanding elderly population and the prevalence of disabilities in various age groups that impact mobility, the global stair lifts market is projected to reach $1.2 billion U.S dollars by 2026, which is a compound annual growth rate of 5 percent over the analysis period.
What can we say? Acorn Stairlifts is a global leader in the stairlift industry, so we know just how much people need our stairlifts-- That's why we take pride in our mobility mission, giving thousands of peoples’ lives a lift every day.
Here at Acorn Stairlifts, we don’t consider ourselves just the world’s top stairlift company. We know we are much more than that. Acorn’s mission is not just to manufacture and sell stairlifts. Acorn strives to improve the overall quality of our customers’ lives by helping them regain their mobility, independence, and confidence, doing so with the help of our high-quality stairlifts and service.
5. Stairlifts may be electric now, but that doesn’t mean that they use a lot of electricity. An Acorn stairlift uses about the same energy as a small television on standby.
Something that people contemplating buying a stairlift might worry about is whether their lift will rack up a large electric bill. Luckily for you, you won’t have to worry about this, as an Acorn stairlift only uses about the same energy as a small television on standby.
6. Acorn stairlifts continue working even during power outages.
Even in the event of a power outage, Acorn’s high-quality stair lifts continue to operate, assuring that your safety will never be compromised in the event of an emergency.
At Acorn Stairlifts, your health and safety are our main priority. For this reason, Acorn works tirelessly to assure that your stairlift is always up and running so that you will never have to be stuck on the stairs again.
7. Stairlifts aren’t built solely for straight stairs. Acorn stairlifts come in a variety of models for straight, curved, and even outdoor stairlifts.
Whether your staircases are narrow or wide, tall or short, straight or curved, indoor or outdoor, Acorn has a variety of stairlift models that will blend seamlessly into your home. We offer the Acorn 130 Stairlift, the Acorn 130 Outdoor Stairlift (Both designed for straight staircases inside and outside), and the Acorn 180 Stairlift designed for curvy, unique staircases with bends and twists. No matter what your needs are, Acorn is happy to assist you in finding the perfect stairlift for you and your home.
8. Installing a stairlift helps increase independence and freedom—not take it away.
One of the biggest fears that people have about accepting help is losing their independence. However, with the help of an Acorn stairlift, you can regain your independence, confidence, and mobility. No longer will you have to crawl up the stairs on your hands and knees, wait for a loved one or caregiver to help you navigate up or down the steep steps, or avoid staircases altogether. With an in-home lift, you can go where you want whenever you want with ease, comfort, and safety.
You will be able to travel freely throughout the entirety of your house without putting your health or safety at risk.
9. Stairlifts aren’t just for seniors. In fact, they assist all types of people of different ages, backgrounds, and medical conditions.
When we think about stairlifts, the first thing that comes to mind is often an elderly person. While there is no doubt that stairlifts are a safe solution for seniors who struggle with stairs, the necessity of a stairlift is not just limited to seniors.
Here are just some of the many demographics that a stairlift can be helpful to:
- Cancer patients
- People with heart conditions
- Patients Recovering from an Injury or Surgery
- People with Disabilities
- Arthritis Patients
- People with Parkinson’s
- People with Back Pain
- Anyone with mobility issues
To learn more about how an Acorn stairlift can help these specific demographics, click here.
10. Acorn installs a stairlift in a home somewhere in the world every 8 minutes.
Did you know that Acorn Stairlifts changes a life every eight minutes? That is because every eight minutes, somewhere in the world, one of Acorn’s stairlifts is being installed into someone’s home. Every eight minutes, one more person breaks free from the bondage of fear, dependency, and immobility.
Claim Your Free, No-Obligation Stairlift Quote Today
To start reclaiming your independence and mobility or help your loved ones live their lives to the fullest, look for an Acorn Stairlifts near you and contact us today. Acorn offers each person even considering investing in a life-changing lift a free, no-obligation quote and home survey in which an Acorn representative will provide you with personal stairlift advice and your stairlift price.
Choose to give you and your loved ones the best by lifting your life with an Acorn stairlift.